What are some of the most common misconceptions concerning family law settlements?
There are many misconceptions regarding property settlements including:
- That I can resolve my property settlement without the Courts or lawyers.
- You don’t need to do a property settlement unless you own a house.
- I owned it before the relationship therefore it’s mine, free from any claim from my ex-partner.
- My name is not on the Title of the house or mortgage and therefore I have no rights to the house.
- I worked hard in this business and it’s mine free from any claim from my ex-partner.
- I’ll lose my right to bring a claim for a property settlement if I leave the home.
- I get to keep my inheritances and gifts I received free from any claim from my ex-partner.
- Being a stay at home mum isn’t valued and is not factored into a claim for property settlement.
Schedule a consult with our experienced lawyers to ensure you are receiving the most accurate, up-to-date information available.